This blog is dedicated to every person who has nightmares involving the question "What's for Dinner?"

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Pork, Anyone?

I had a migraine yesterday, so I only took care of the pork meal assemblies (which was the majority of the meat). Here’s what I have left to assemble: 2 meals with split chicken breasts, 1 sirloin tip roast, and 3 whole chickens. The whole chickens are the easiest. I just put those in the freezer and pull them out when I want them. I usually roast them (this is one of my kids favorite meals) and sometimes I boil them for chicken and dumplings or chicken soup. The sirloin roast I will rub with olive oil, minced garlic, salt and pepper and then freeze. I still haven’t decided what to do with the split chicken breasts.

So le’s start with the pork:

raw pork

I took the pork butt roast first (it’s 5 lbs!) and rubbed it with Ernie’s BBQ rub recipe and then put it in the freezer bag. When I cook it, I’ll either slow cook in the oven or use the crock pot and since we will for sure have meat left over, I will freeze the leftovers for pulled pork sandwiches or something like that. Definitely getting at least 2 meals out of this roast.

Here’s the delicious rub:

Pork Roast rubbed

Then I took the 4lb tenderloin and cut it in half. A 2lb roast is completely sufficient for our family! One tenderloin I bagged in a tangy marinade and the other I rubbed with a garlic/paprika/olive oil rub.

Lastly I took the family pack of pork chops and made them into 2 dinners of Moroccan Pork Chops, which is one of my kid’s favorites. I will either broil or grill those pork chops when it comes time to eat them.

Here are the pre-assembled meals:

Pork Meals 

It took me to 1 hour and 10 minutes to make these recipes!

Here’s the recipes for Ernie’s BBQ Rub and Moroccan Pork Chops:

Ernie’s BBQ Rub

  • 3/4 c. packed dark brown sugar
  • 2 T mild chili powder
  • 1/4 c. paprika
  • 2 1/2 T salt
  • 2 T black pepper
  • 1 T onion powder
  • 1/2 T garlic powder
  • 1/2 t. cayenne pepper

Mix ingredients well and then rub into meat.

Moroccan Pork Chops

  • 1 t salt
  • 1 T garlic powder
  • 1 t curry powder
  • 2 T Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 t paprika
  • 2 chicken boullion cubes
  • 1/2 t dry mustard
  • 1 t oregano
  • 2-3 dashes Tabasco sauce
  • 1/2 c. boiling water
  • pork chops

Combine all spices in bowl and add boiling water. Mix until dissolved. Place pork chops in gallon freezer bag and then pour sauce into bag. Seal, label, and freeze.   

And here’s Max- in his favorite spot- while I cooked!

Max cooking

1 comment:

  1. What great ideas! I've only ever done precooked casseroles in the freezer, but I like this too! I'll be interested to see how you do the raw casseroles. I'm making Sweet Pork Chops in the crockpot today-that would be a good one to freeze! Were these recipes that you already had or do you have a favorite site for FMA recipes?

    ReplyDelete